This soup is what my mom used to make for my brother and I when we were babies, and it became a staple of Max's diet when he was eating purees. This makes a large volume which freezes and defrosts well, especially if you freeze it in ice cube trays for easy-to-serve individual portions.
- 1 whole organic chicken or whatever parts you prefer
- 1 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped optional
- 1 cup cannellini or lima beans optional
- sprinkle salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients in a large pot. Add enough water to cover all. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer at least one hour. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bone and puree (this is easiest with an immersion blender). This is also a great winter meal for parents if you skip the puree and add noodles instead!